Cipro for UTI
Ciprofloxacin (generic name), Cipro, Cipro XR (brand names) is an antibiotic prescribed for the treatment of skin, lung, airway, bone, and joint infections caused by susceptible bacteria. Examples include:
- Complicated urinary tract infections (UTIs);
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis;
- Typhoid fever;
- Chronic bronchitis;
- diarrhea caused by E. coli, Shigella, and Campylobacter jejuni.
Cipro should not be used for treating uncomplicated UTIs, acute bacterial chronic bronchitis, or acute bacterial sinusitis because of the serious side effects it may cause. So side effects of Cipro are mentioned in our article.
The FDA has issued a warning for fluoroquinolone like Cipro because it is associated with some serious adverse reactions, for example:
Tendinitis or tendon rupture, particularly the Achilles tendon. It can worsen weakness in people with a disease called myasthenia gravis. Peripheral neuropathy CNS problems, for example, nervousness, agitation, dizziness, paranoia, hallucinations, nightmares, and anxiety.
Cipro side effects
- - pain in legs;
- - heart beating feeling, atrial fibrillation, faint, arterial hypertension, myocardial infarction, cardiopulmonary arrest, cerebral thrombosis;
- - dizziness, nightmares, hallucinations, manic reactions, irritability, ataxia, seizures, atony, sleepiness, weakness, sickness, anorexia, phobia, depersonalization, paresthesia;
- - oral mucosa sickness, oral cavity candidiasis, dysphagia, enterobrosia, gastrointestinal hemorrhage;
- - arthralgia, pain in the back, joint stiffness, pain in the neck or on the chest area, steep gout aggravation;
- - interstitial nephritis, polyuria, urinary retention, bleedings out of the urethra, vaginitis, acidosis;
- - breathlessness, nose bleeding, laryngeal or pulmonary edema, singultation, bloody expectoration, bronchismus, thromboembolism of pulmonary artery;
- - face redness, facial, lips, eye mucous membrane, and hands edema, skin moniliasis, hyper-pigmentation;
- - blurred vision, chromesthesia disorder, increased light perception, reduced visual acuity, diplopia, pain in eyes, sonitus, hearing loop, gustation disorder.
Post-marketing side effects (related to the usage of quinolones including ciprofloxacin without considering pharmaceuticals interaction):
- - agitation, confused mental state, deliration, toxic insanity, peripheral neuropathy, photo-allergy reaction/photo-toxic reactions, hyperaesthesia, anosmia, severe pseudo-paralytic myasthenia aggravation, nystagmus, gustation disorder, hypesthesia, myodynia;
- - agranulocytosis, increase in cholesterol in blood serum, blood glucose escape, hemolytic anemia (threat to the life), bone marrow depression;
- - methemoglobinemia, phenytoin level changes in blood serum and increased potassium, prolongation of PT, increased blood serum triglyceride;
- - albuminuria, stones in kidneys;
- - constipation, diarrhea, dysphagia, gaseous distention, jaundice, hepatism (including fatal cases), hepatic necrosis, pancreatitis, pseudomembranous colitis;
- - postural hypotension, hypertonia;
- - tendonitis, tendon tear;
- - anaphylactic reaction, erythema multiform, exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens Johnson's syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis;
- - vaginal candidiasis (vaginal, oral).
Cipro and alcohol
What may happen in case a patient will drink some alcohol in the midst of antibiotics treatment? Probably there will appear no external reactions demonstrating an intoxication but a patient’s internal tracts will strongly suffer from a toxic attack.
Alcohol and Ciprofloxacin are equally metabolized in the liver and then they are excreted by the kidneys. This is the reason why exactly these vital organs will strongly suffer from toxic attack will of both substances
In connection with the above, there is a legitimate question – is it generally allowed to drink some alcohol during the treatment by means of that medicine.
Before to start to drink some alcohol in the period of treatment by means of that medicine, it is recommended to remember that both mixed substances will strengthen side effects.
The strong negative reaction of the central nervous system may occur in that case:
- - depression of consciousness including faint;
- - hallucination;
- - depressed mood becoming worse over time so that a patient becomes self-harm;
- - shaky hands and flush;
- - headaches and brow ache.
How long do side effects of Cipro last?
Medicine duration period should be defined by a doctor depending on the disease and other factors. In any case, it is necessary to continue to take Ciprofloxacin at least during more two days after disease symptoms disappear. The average period of treatment by means of Ciprofloxacin in pills is from 7 to 10 days.
The direction for use states Ciprofloxacin may cause feel drowsy, as well as dizziness is also possible. That may influence usual patient’s state and become the reason a patient will not be able to drive a car. Alcohol usage at the same time will make much worse patient’s state. It is necessary to avoid driving a car during the treatment period by means of that medicine. It is also necessary to exclude alcohol out of the usage during the treatment period.
Cipro side effects after stopping can cause nausea, conjunctival hyperemia, itchiness and burning, reduced vision acuity, gustation changes.