Levitra 20mg: Uses, Dosage
Levitra is a commonly used medicine to combat erectile dysfunction, also known as impotence. The essence of this disease is a man’s inability to achieve and maintain an erection sufficient for a normal sexual act. Levitra is available in the form of tablets for oral use, which help thousands of men to restore their potency.
Composition and Dosage
Levitra branded tablets are always round, biconvex, dark yellow. They are film coated. The main active ingredient of this medicine is Vardenafil. Each tablet may contain 5, 10 or 20 mg of this chemical substance.
The manufacturer of branded Levitra is a well-known German pharmaceutical company Bayer. Levitra tablets from this manufacturer on one side contain the numbers according to the dosage (5, 10 or 20), and on the other – the Bayer logo in the form of a cross. This should be taken into consideration if you don’t want to deal with counterfeits of branded medicines.
Levitra tablets are not recommended to be divided into several parts. They need to be washed down with water. The medicine should be taken approximately forty minutes before the planned sexual intimacy, but this time is individual. For some men only have half an hour is enough to feel the effect of the pill, and some take an entire hour. After this, the medicine lasts another three to four hours, but some men feel its effect longer, up to a day. You must not take pills more than once a day. Usually, urologists begin treatment with a dosage of 10 mg, but if necessary, reduce it to 5 mg or increase to 20 mg. With relatively pronounced side effects or concomitant diseases, such as renal failure, the optimal dosage is not more than 5 mg per day.
Special Features of Taking Levitra
When taking Levitra or any other tablets to increase potency, you should adhere to the principle that it is better less than more. If possible, try to minimize the dosage, then you will minimize the likelihood of side effects. If a small dosage, such as 5 mg, is enough to achieve a normal erection, there is no need to take tablets with a higher dosage, the result will not improve. In any case, don’t exceed the maximum daily dosage of 20 mg. Those men who want to save as much money as possible when buying Levitra should pay attention to tablets with a dosage of 20 mg. In this scenario, you will need to divide one tablet into several parts in accordance with the dosage recommended by your doctor. If you are taking Levitra for the first time or acting without consulting an urologist, start with 5 mg. To divide the tablets into several parts, you can resort to a simple sharp knife or a special device that can be purchased at any pharmacy. Older men should keep in mind that at an advanced age (from 65 years), the drug is absorbed into the blood more slowly, and for the onset of the effect, it may take longer. Elderly men should definitely consult a doctor before taking this medicine, because with a high probability they take various medications that may not be combined with Levitra or require a dose adjustment of the latter.
How Long Does Levitra Effect Last?
According to the promises of advertising, Levitra can begin to act within 15 minutes after you take it, but as a rule the effect occurs in about half an hour. Don’t worry if you don’t feel it so quickly – in many men, the medicine begins to act about an hour after taking it. If you eat fatty foods before taking a pill, this can slow down the onset of the effect. Usually, the drug lasts about four hours. Please note that if your erection doesn’t disappear for more than two hours, this is not normal – it is a symptom of priapism, a condition that requires emergency medical attention.
Duration of Levitra’s effect may vary depending on the dosage you take. The less is the dosage, the shorter the pill lasts. If you seek the maximum duration, Levitra 20 mg pills is your choice. However, not all patients tolerate this dosage well, so keep in mind that it is not recommended for men with heart problems, weak stomach or hypertension/hypotension.
The Main Advantages of Levitra
The main active ingredient of Levitra, Vardenafil, has a number of the following positive qualities: relieves a man of symptoms of erectile dysfunction (weak erection or its absence), reduces the recovery period between sexual acts, prolongs the duration of sexual intercourse and normalizes blood flow in the genitals. Some men take this medicine even in absence of symptoms of erectile dysfunction, just to make their sexual life better. The disadvantages of Levitra include the fact that in some men its use causes difficulties in achieving an orgasm. However, few men report about such a reaction.
Levitra 20 mg Precautions for Use
- Be careful if you have any kind of cardiovascular disease. Levitra's active ingredient, Vardenafil, puts a strain on the heart and can worsen your condition.
- Vardenafil dilates blood vessels, so taking Levitra can cause a decrease in blood pressure.
- If sexual activity is contraindicated to you, then it is better to refrain from taking Levitra.
- It is recommended to abandon taking Levitra pills it you undergo treatment with drugs to combat cardiac arrhythmia of classes 1A (procainamide) and 3 (amiodarone). Such a combination may lead to problems with heart rhythm or arterial pressure.
- Vardenafil, the main ingredient of the medicine, interacts in a certain way with drugs from other pharmacological groups. For example, Levitra must not be taken together with donators of nitrogen oxide. If you have concomitant diseases and use any meds for their treatment, be sure to tell your doctor about them to avoid unnecessary risk.
- Don’t use Levitra if you suffer from pronounced hepatic or renal failure (or their combination). Also, be careful in case of hypotension (low blood pressure), since in some patients Vardenafil lowers arterial pressure.
- When using Levitra in combination with certain antibiotics and antimycotics (for example, erythromycin and ketoconazole), the likelihood of side effects from Vardenafil increases. In this regard, avoid the combination of these drugs with Levitra or limit the dosage of the latter to 5 mg.
- People under 18 years old must not take Levitra. This drug is not intended to be used by women either (though this is not a strict prohibition).
- Levitra is not recommended to be taken if you have gastritis, stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer. The pills can lead to worsening of the condition, up to stomach bleeding. Consult your doctor about it if you have such problems and take the lowest dosage of Levitra, better after food intake.
- Despite the lack of official data on this issue, a number of urologists recommend avoiding work related to the management of precise mechanisms in the first six hours after taking Levitra. The reason for this is not that the man will be distracted by arousal, but because Vardenafil can cause a slowdown in the reactions.
If you are just planning to start taking Levitra, pay attention not only to the positive qualities of this medicine to restore potency, but also to the negative aspects associated with its use. Contraindications should be examined especially carefully so as not to encounter a situation in which the harm from the medicine is greater than the benefit. The dosage and frequency of taking Levitra should depend not only on the desired result in terms of potency, but also on the current state of all the systems of your body.